2016 – 2017
Reaching the understanding of the judiciary or key individuals in the judiciary about the problems of access to justice for PWDs and making a range of decisions to improve this group’s access to justice.
Main areas of activity:
- Preparation of materials (analysis of NAPs, international treaties, studies conducted in this area, review of judicial practice) and organization of a conference for 60 judges of the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Establishing a partnership network with human rights organizations working in the field of human rights of people with disabilities and establishing cooperation of the Focus Committee of the NGO “KAWJ” with them on an ongoing basis.
- Preparation of recommendations based on the results of the conference, draft laws and regulations to improve access to justice for people with disabilities.
- Preparation of a training module on access to justice for VIPs for judges, prosecutors and lawyers.
- Consultation with decision-makers to promote the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Expected results and accomplishments:
- The documents prepared as a result of the conference (analytical report (studies) on the legislation in the field of access to justice for people with disabilities, review of judicial practice and a brief overview of research on this topic, as well as draft laws and regulations were submitted to all interested state bodies (the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, the Jogorku Kenesh of the Kyrgyz Republic, the Supreme Court of the Kyrgyz Republic).
- Developed a training module on access to justice for lawyers, prosecutors and judges and delivered to training centers as well as partners.
- Consultations were held with 5 human rights organizations of POVZ and a memorandum of cooperation was concluded with them.